Creating a blog
A web log (blog) is your space online where you can write about anything and everything on your mind. You could use it as a journal, a creative outlet, a place to rant, or just as a way for your friends and family to catch up on your life. You can have as many blogs as you like on your domain.
To access the blog administration system click this icon in the control panel:
You will then see a list of the blogs you have already created. If this is your first blog, the list will be empty. To start creating a new blog click Create blog
- Step 1: Blog name and url
- Step 2: Time settings and anonymous users’ permissions
- Step 3: ’About me’ and ’About the blog’ text
- Step 4: Create the first user
- Step 5: Creating the first category
- Step 6: Choosing a template
Step 1: Blog name and url
Choose a name for your blog (in this example My Blog):
Then choose the address for your blog. This can be either at the root of your web space (www.example.com) or a subdomain (in this example blog.example.com).
Step 2: Time settings and anonymous users’ permissions
Now choose the time settings for your blog.
- Date Display Format - The format of the date shown on each message and comment
- Time Display Format - Choose to show the time either in 12h mode, or 24h mode with or without seconds
- Time Zone - The preferred time zone for your blog.
Below you can edit the permissions for anonymous users.
If View the blog is set to yes everybody will be able to read the messages you make in the blog. If it’s set to no, only people with a valid user ID will be able to read your messages.
If Post comments is set to yes, anonymous users will be able to post comments to your blog, if set to no anonymous visitors will not have this option.
NB: if you have blocked anonymous users in your blog, the Post comments option will not have any effect.
Step 3: ’About me’ and ’About the blog’ text
In this step you can write information about yourself and your blog in the About me and About the blog sections.
If you disable these options, the text boxes will not be shown in the blog, and you wont be able to add text to the text boxes in this step. For explanatory purposes don’t disable any of these for your first blog.
Step 4: Create the first user
Now you need to add the first user to the blog. You can either add a new or an existing user. (for the first blog you can’t choose to add an existing user).
To insert a new user click the New user radio button. Define an E-mail address (this will be the login name), next the Name which will be the name displayed in the blog’s posts. Finally write a Password, and confirm it.
To insert an existing user on another blog on your domain click the Add existing user radio button.
A list will appear. Choose the user to add by clicking the radio button next to the e-mail address.
Finally choose the permissions you want this user to have below. The first user (you) should have all permissions, for full control of the blog. The following options can be set:
Here are the functions for each of the permissions:
- New message - Allows the user to create new messages in the blog
- Edit message - Allows the user to edit the posted messages in the blog
- Delete message - Allows the user to delete the posted messages in the blog
- New comment - Allows the user to post comments to messages in the blog
- Delete comment - Allows the user to delete comments
- Add friend - Allows the user to invite and add friends
Step 5: Creating the first category
In this step you need to choose a name for your first category. All messages written in the blog has to be created under a certain category. Later you will be able to add more.
Step 6: Choosing a template
Now choose one of our templates for the design of your blog
Click the View button to see a preview of this template. Click Select to choose the design.
The blog is now created
Your blog is now created. All settings can be changed. This is explained in the following chapter.