Using Bix on iPad
Bix lets you bring your files anywhere. Access and share your photos, videos and documents easily directly from the Bix app for iPad. Any file you save to Bix can be accessed on all your computers, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Android devices.
- System Requirements
- Get a quick overview of your files
- Add files to Favorites for offline use
- Store and play your music on Bix
- Store and back up your photos on Bix
- Turn on automatic Camera Upload
- Sharing Files
- Edit .txt-files directly in app
- Import and Export Files
- Add another drive from a different user
- Cache Settings
- Secure content with a passcode
- Delete all files from Bix on your iPad
- Supported File Formats
- Supported Languages
- iOS 5.0 and above for iPad
Get a quick overview of your files
The tab All Files gives you a quick overview of all the files stored on Bix. Organize your files in folders and rename them to make them easy to find. When you are looking for a specific file, use the search function at the top to locate it.
Add files to Favorites for offline use
To make sure you have the latest version of a file for offline use, mark it as a Favorite.
Mark files as Favorites by tapping the star icon when you preview a file.
- Find the file you want to add to Favorites in the All Files tab.
- Tap the file to preview it.
- Tap the star icon to add the file to Favorites.
Favorites are marked with a green star icon. Manage your Favorites by selecting and deselecting the star icon when you preview files.
Store and play your music on Bix
The app will automatically filter your music and video stored on Bix and place it under the Music tab. The built-in Music Player even lets you stream music stored on your drive without downloading it.
Tap one of the categories to view your files. The music and videos will be sorted by category in Songs, Artists, Albums, Videos, Composer and Genre.
- Play a track: You can play a track by tapping the track and if you want to play all tracks listed just tap the Play button.
- Download a track: You can download a track by tapping the blue icon with an arrow.
The green icon with a check mark indicates that the file is already downloaded.
- Stream music: If you don’t want your music and videos downloaded for offline access, just stream it directly from Bix, by tapping the track you want to listen to.
Store and back up your photos on Bix
All photos stored on your drive will automatically be filtered, so you can easily access them from the Pictures tab. View images either as thumbnails or in full screen.
- Capture: Tap the camera icon to capture photos & videos and upload them to the current album.
- Upload: Tap the album icon to upload photos & videos.
- Share: Tap the icon showing an arrow pointing out of a box, to share an image.
Turn on automatic Camera Upload
With Camera Upload turned on, all photos and videos taken with your iPad’s camera will automatically be uploaded to Bix.
You will be asked to turn on Camera Upload the first time you open a drive in the app, but you can also do it later.
- Tap Settings in the Bix app.
- Tap Camera upload.
- Switch Automatically upload to ON.
- Select how you want to upload, either Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi or Data Plan.
- Select the drive you want to the camera to upload to.
- Tap Done.
Note: This feature requires a camera and is only available on iPhone and newer versions of iPad & iPod touch.
Share files placed on Bix directly from the iPad app. When you share a file, a link will be created to the file, which you can email, post on Facebook, tweet, copy and paste into messages or use in your favorite app.
- View the file you want to share.
- Tap the icon showing an arrow pointing out of a box, at the bottom left of the screen.
- Tap Share link, if you don’t want to Tweet or post on Facebook.
- Select how you want to share the file, by tapping Email to email the link, or Copy to Clipboard to paste the link in another app.
- When sending an email enter the recipients’ email addresses.
- Tap Done.
Edit .txt-files directly in app
The Bix app supports direct editing for text files with the format .txt.
- Add the .txt-file to Favorites.
- Open the .txt-file from the Favorites tab.
- Tap the compose icon or tap anywhere in the text to enable editing.
- Make your changes to the text.
- Tap Back.
- Tap Upload to confirm that you want to upload your changes.
Import and Export Files
The Bix app only supports direct editing for text files. If you want to edit other file formats, first export the file to another app and when you are done editing, import it back to the Bix app.
Import files from other apps
- Locate the file in a third party app, and choose to open the file in the Bix app. In some apps you have to tap Open with… first. The Bix app will automatically open.
- Tap Save to Bix, to add the file to your drive.
- Select the drive where you want to place the file, and tap Choose destination.
- Select the folder where you want to place the file, and tap Choose destination again.
- Select Keep or Overwrite, to decide what you want to do with files with the same name.
The file is now added to the selected folder in your Bix app.
Export files from Bix to another app
- View the file you want to export
- Tap the share icon (shaped as an arrow pointing out of a box).
- Tap Open In App
- Select the app you want to open your file in.
Note: Only apps that support this file type will be listed.
Add another drive from a different user
You can add several drives placed on different users and access them at the same time.
- Open the Bix app.
- Tap the gear icon to access the Settings.
- Tap Add user.
- Enter the login details for the account you want to add.
- Tap Log in to Bix.
Caching improves the performance by storing a specified amount of data on the iPad, so you can access your files faster. You can configure File Cache and Media Cache based on your iPad’s storage capacity.
- Tap Settings in the Bix app.
- Tap File Cache and set the amount of data to cache.
- Go back to Settings.
- Tap Media Cache and set the amount of data to cache.
Secure content with a passcode
You can secure your drive by activating the passcode. The app will then ask for a four-digit passcode to be entered every time the Bix app launches.
- Go to Settings in the Bix app.
- Tap Passcode Lock.
- Enter a four digit passcode.
- Confirm your passcode by entering it again.
Delete all files from Bix on your iPad
You can clear all data from Bix on your iPad, by doing the following:
- Tap Settings in the Bix app.
- Select the user you want to delete under Account Details.
- A list of drives belonging to the selected user will be shown.
- Tap on Remove User.
- Confirm that you want to delete the user, by tapping Remove User again.
All saved data for the selected user will be removed.
Note: This will delete all the files downloaded from Bix on the iPhone.
Supported File Formats
Supported Audio and Video file formats
|MPEG-1, layer 3||.mp3|
|H.264 Baseline Profile Level 3.0 video, up to 640 x 480 at 30 fps.
(The Baseline profile does not support B frames.)
MPEG-4 Part 2 video
|.mov, .mp4, .mpv, .3gp|
Supported Image file formats
|Tagged Image File Format (TIFF)||.tiff, .tif|
|Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG)||.jpg, .jpeg|
|Graphic Interchange Format (GIF)||.gif|
|Portable Network Graphic (PNG)||.png|
|Windows Bitmap Format (DIB)||.bmp, .BMPf|
|Windows Icon Format||.ico|
The Bix app for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad is currently available in English, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish.
Find more Bix tips on our support pages.