Using Bix on Mac
Bix keeps your files synced. Access and share your photos, videos and documents easily with the Bix software on your Mac. By syncing files to your drive, the same files can be accessed on all your computers, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Android devices.
- Install Bix on your Mac
- Login, setup folders to sync and select encryption
- Keep track of files with the File Viewer
- Change a synced folder’s location by selecting a new path
- Stop synchronization of a synced folder
- Sync a folder from Bix to your Mac
- Sync a folder on your Mac to Bix
- Add multiple drives placed on different domains
- Restore folders from Bix
- Change preferences for the application
- Quick access to Bix options with the context menu
- Share files from the context menu
- Uninstall Bix on your Mac
Install Bix on your Mac
Download the software and locate the file OneComCloudDriveInstaller.pkg on your computer.
The downloaded file is by default saved in your Downloads folder. If you are unsure where the file is saved, check the download settings for your browser.
Note: You need OS X 10.6 or higher to install Bix on your Mac.
Open the file OneComCloudDriveInstaller.pkg.
In OS X 10.7.5 and above, there is an extra security feature, called Gatekeeper. By default, Gatekeeper only lets you install applications downloaded from the Mac App Store or signed with a Developer ID. With Gatekeeper activated, you cannot double-click on the One.com installer to start the installation.
Open the context menu, by either right clicking or pressing Ctrl while clicking the file.
In the context menu click Open.
Click Open again, to confirm that you want to open the file you downloaded from One.com.
Click Continue to continue the installation process.
Click Continue again.
Click Agree, to accept the terms in the software license agreement.
Depending on your System Settings, you might be asked to allow changes.
Enter the administration password for the computer, and click OK.
Please wait while the Bix application is being installed.
Click Close to exit the installer window.
Login, setup folders to sync and select encryption
When the installation is complete, you will be asked to login with your Bix user.
In the Bix login window, enter your email and password for your Bix-user and click Login.
Note: Remember to create a drive in the One.com Control Panel first, to be able to access it through the Bix application.
From the list of drives select the drive you want to use and click Next.
Select which folders on your Mac that you want to sync with Bix.
You have two options when selecting folders to sync:
- Sync/backup below folders (Recommended)
- Customer selection of folders and encryption (Advanced Users)
When using the Recommended option these folders will be selected by default:
Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies and Desktop.
You can always add more folders to sync later, see the section "Adding more folders to sync" later in this guide.
When selecting the option Advanced Users ("Customer selection of folders and encryption") we recommend that you use Server side encryption.
Select the folders you want to add for sync.
If you want to add a folder that is not already displayed, click Add another folder.
Select the folder you want to add and click Open.
All the folders you have selected to sync will be displayed.
Click OK to start the synchronization and open the application.
Keep track of files with the File Viewer
The File Viewer gives you an overview of files and folders connected to your drive.
Click the folder to view the content in Finder on your Mac.
Change a synced folder’s location by selecting a new path
To view or edit the settings for a folder, you click either the status icon or the cog icon placed next to the name of the folder.
- Click the field with the folder’s path.
- Change the folder’s location by selecting a new path.
- Click Save.
- Choose either to Move (Recommended) or Copy the folder to the new location you have selected.
- Click Save to save the new location for the folder.
Stop synchronization of a synced folder
If you want to stop the active synchronization for a folder, click the status icon or the cog icon to change the settings.
Uncheck Sync to location and click Save.
The status icon changes from green to white. The folder will no longer be synced with your computer.
It is also possible to stop the synchronization of a folder, by right clicking a folder in the File Viewer and selecting Cancel Sync.
Note: This option is only available when sync is in progress.
Sync a folder from Bix to your Mac
You can download and start to sync any folder from Bix to your Mac.
- Locate the folder you want to sync.
- Click the white status icon to activate sync for this specific folder.
- Select the location on your computer where you want to sync the folder to.
- Click Save.
Sync a folder on your Mac to Bix
Sync folders placed locally on your computer to your drive:
- Click Add folder to sync in Bix’s File Viewer.
- Select the folder you want to add to your drive.
- Click Open.
Add multiple drives placed on different domains
You can add another drive by clicking Add drive and entering the login information for the drive you want to add.
If the option Add drive is not showing, click the icon with stripes, to show the pane with tabs. Select the tab Drives.
The drives you add can even be placed on different domains.
All added drives will be displayed under the tab Drives in the File Viewer.
Tip: Hide and show the pane displaying drives by clicking the icon with stripes.
Restore folders from Bix
You can restore a folder or file on Bix to your computer by clicking Restore.
Select the time and date that you want to restore back to and click Refresh.
Select the folder you want to restore.
Set the location for where you want the restored folder to be placed and click Open.
Change preferences for the application
The Bix application has some features that only can be accessed by clicking the Bix icon in the menu bar on your Mac.
- Preferences - settings for Bix on your computer.
- Progress - shows the status for synchronizations.
- About - tells you which version of the Bix software your computer is running.
- Quit - by clicking this option you quit the Bix application.
To change the settings for Bix on your computer, click the Bix icon in the menu bar, and click Preferences.
Applications settings: options for hiding the dock icon, disabling auto start and setting the language for the application.
Log: shows the log for the latest actions performed by the application. If you want open the folder with the log files, click Open Log Folder.
Job settings: options for changing the default locations used for synchronization.
Filter Extensions: options for selecting which file types and extensions you want to exclude and include under synchronization.
Quick access to Bix options with the context menu
When the Bix application is running, you can right-click any folder on your computer to access the Bix context menu. The context menu gives you quick access to options for sharing and adding files and folders for sync.
- Add to Sync: For an unsynchronized folder you can use the context menu to add the folder to sync with Bix.
- Share As Link: For synced folders you can use the context menu to share the folder with anyone, by creating a link to the content you want to share.
- Show version: This option gives you quick access to the different versions of the file available.
- Learn more and get Help: sends you directly to our web site where you can find more tips about how to use Bix, or contact our 24/7 live chat support.
Share files from the context menu
Right-click any synced file or folder, and click on Share As Link to share the item.
Select how long you want the link to be active, and click Create.
Please wait for the link to be generated.
The link will be displayed, and you can either copy the link or send an email with the link to those you want to share it with.
If you select Email a message composer will open.
Write a message to the person you want to share the file with, enter the email address, add a subject and click Send.
Uninstall Bix on your Mac
You can uninstall the Bix software on your Mac by running the Uninstaller.
Download the Uninstaller for Bix for Mac
Unzip the file you just downloaded, and open the Bix Uninstaller.
On newer versions of OS X you might need to open the file from the context menu, and not just by clicking the file.
Click Open in the dialogue box that appears.
Confirm that you would like to uninstall the Bix software, by clicking Yes.
The Uninstaller starts and you will be asked to confirm the uninstallation of the Bix software by entering the computer’s administration password.
Decide if you want to keep the Bix folder and its content on your computer, by clicking Yes or No.
You will get a message that confirms that the uninstallation is complete.
Remove the Uninstaller from your computer, by dragging the Uninstaller to the Trash.
Find more Bix tips on our support pages.